Friday, October 7, 2011

Volunteering

I volunteer once a month with a local home for girls.  It's a group foster-care type of situation.  Sometimes the girls are adopted and sometimes they return home.  A lot of the time, they live there for a long while.  I am one of four girls who do this and we just spend time with the girls and do crafts.  The girls we work with are ages 12-18.

I look forward to working with them and trying to get through to them.  These girls come from horrible home lives that we're not given details on.  They're prone to giving up on tasks and they're usually raring to fight with someone, anyone, when they first arrive.  But they've settled into our routine of craft then snack and seem to genuinely enjoy our presence. 

I'm not sure what it is that attracts me to this age level.  I work as a school psychologist in a high school.  I volunteer with these (mostly) high-school aged girls.  I also volunteer with my church's high-school aged Sunday school group.  I like the age group because they can be a part of the problem solving process and work with you on finding solutions that they believe will work.  That is so important.  If you can get through to a kid so they'll work with you, you will have so much more success.

I'm sorry I've been rambling the past couple of days.  I'm trying to find my place with this blog and I feel like I have to let you get to know the non-wedding-planning Melanie.  Is there anything you want to know? Suggestions on how to take this blog in a new direction?

Maybe I need to try the theme-by-day type of blog?

Who knows.  I am going to try to have Mondays as Instagram Mondays where I update you on the weekend happenings.  I know you're on the edge of your seats.  :)

No comments: